Something nice and simple. In this Tableau quick tip, we are going to walk through a simple technique for Table Pagination in Tableau, in 5 minutes or less.
We will start by loading the following data into Tableau Desktop / Tableau public.
Note: If you have Tableau Desktop, you can use the Sample data source, but if you are using Tableau Public, download and load the following data source.
We only need to create the following Parameter and Calculation Fields:
Page Size Parameter
- Set Name to Page Size
- Set Data type to Integer
- Set Current value to 20
- Set Allowable values to Range
- Set Minimum to 5
- Set Maximum to 20
- Set Step size to 5
With this done, let us start creating our data visualisation.
We will now build our worksheet:
- Change the Mark Type to Text
- Drag Order ID onto the Rows Shelf
- Drag Order Date onto Rows Shelf
- Right-click on this pill, and select Exact Date and convert to Discrete
- Drag Customer Name onto Rows Shelf
- Drag Customer ID onto Rows Shelf
- Now double click on Sales, Quantity and Profit.
You should now see the following:
A simple table, so now we will add our pagination:
- Drag Page Number onto the Rows Shelf
- Right-click on this pill and convert to Discrete
- Drag this pill onto the Filters Shelf and select 1
You should now have the following:
You control the page size using the parameter and select your page number using the filter. My table looks like the following:
and boom, we are done… I hope you enjoyed this tutorial, and as always, you can find this data visualization on Tableau Public at https://public.tableau.com/profile/toan.hoang#!/vizhome/SimplePagination/SimplePagination
I hope you all enjoyed this article as much as I enjoyed writing it and as always do share the love. Do let me know if you experienced any issues recreating this Visualization, and as always, please leave a comment below or reach out to me on Twitter @Tableau_Magic. Do also remember to tag me in your work if you use this tutorial.
If you like our work, do consider supporting us on Patreon, and for supporting us, we will give you early access to tutorials, exclusive videos, as well as access to current and future courses on Udemy: https://www.patreon.com/tableaumagic